Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Breathing

If its not obvious by now, I am really excited to have finally discovered the career path that is meant for me.

I knew I wanted to help people but was never entirely sure how.

How weird is that once you become aware of something its suddenly everywhere? I literally stumbled on Respiratory Therapy after a number of random events somehow fell into place. And NOW, every single day something reaffirms the decision I've made. I continue to learn things every single day.

Yesterday, the fact that I know and understand asthma symptoms had a hand in saving the first of many lives that I hope to be able to save as a Respiratory Therapist.

We were celebrating the birthday of my dear friend and RT mentor Susan when her typically controllable asthma suddenly become extremely out of control. She was very obviously having a difficult time breathing and getting oxygen. It turned serious when her skin had gone from a healthy, glowing pink to a sickly gray color. We got up and left for the ER immediately. Running red lights and dodging the crazy snowstorm that we were in the middle of, we made it just in time. Her oxygen saturation was 76%. If she hadn't received treatment at that very moment, I hate to think what could have happened.

I followed the ambulance that transferred her to the University Hospital where she was admitted to the ICU, remaining surprisingly calm the entire time.

It was so scary to see someone completely unable to breathe. Its something that I think most people don't even realize how quickly your body suffers when its struggling to get enough oxygen. All I wanted to do was help.

Knowing that I get to help people breathe, is an amazing, humbling, gratifying feeling.

Days like this one are reminders that I am in exactly the right place, at exactly the right time.

1 comment:

  1. hey woman! i gave you a sisterhood award on my blog today! love ya! congrats!

    ReplyDelete