Sunday, April 11, 2010

Finally.. I get to put these on.


I started school on May 25, 2009. It took more than 7 months before I had a class related specifically to my major. I knew that down the road, the real deal, clinical, practical hours were going to happen. And I could not wait.

My scheduled clinical hours aren't supposed to start until this coming Wednesday, but I've never been known for being patient. I happen to be known as an ambitious go-getter that takes a lot of initiative to maintain my reputation for being an overachiever.

I've almost been in school a whole year, and all I wanted to do was put my scrubs on, throw a stethoscope around my neck and really learn something in a hospital. Last night I finally got the chance.

A few months ago, I took a leap of faith and got a job more closely related to the Respiratory Therapy field that I would ultimately end up in. Luckily for me, its done wonders. I've learned more than I can imagine on the job, and even better have made some incredible friends that have really helped me along.

Respiratory therapists are in their own category. We don't deal with the same things nurses do, and they are pretty happy about that. Respiratory Therapists are science nerds who live for traumas and life saving. If I didn't know any better, I'd say I embarked on an AWESOME career.

Unfortunately, last night, despite all we could do to jinx us, nothing crazy came into the ER, the ICU was pretty quiet, and nothing super eventful went down.

So when it got quiet,I got the chance to practice intubating a dummy. It may sound trivial, but I have been waiting for this chance for a long time! I'm more than grateful today for laryngoscopes, respiratory therapists and the constant reminders that I chose a fabulous profession.

1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting Shanna! I'm so happy for you :) Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete